The GEO Group, owner of the Pecos prison that was home to two riots over the past few months, is now apparently being struck with another alleged riot at its Rio Grande Detention Center in Laredo, Texas, according to a story from Pro8News, ("LPD called out to Rio Grande Detention Center," March 11th).
Laredo police are called out to the Rio Grande Detention Center for assistance after a situation with the inmates. A helicopter could be seen circling around the prison around seven this evening.
Sources say a riot may have broken out behind the detention center walls but neither representative from the Geo Group nor Laredo police could confirm those details. According to police, officers were called out to assist the situation, which was controlled after 20 minutes.
Pro 8 News tried to obtain details from the Rio Grande Detention Center but were asked to leave the premises.
The Laredo lock-up, dubbed the "superjail" by local media, was subject to much criticism before its opening. Here's our past coverage of the controversy:
- Laredo Superjail Grand Opening, September 21, 2008
- GEO Brings in Execs, Buses for Laredo Meeting, Janauary 18, 2008
- Laredo City Council Rejects GEO "Donation", November 25, 2007
- GEO Group Continues to Draw Fire Over Laredo "Superjail", November 19, 2007
- More Bad Press for GEO on Laredo Superjail Deal, June 19, 2007
- GEO Group Flings Money and Promises to Laredo, May 21, 2007